How Do You React When You See This Sign?
Sometimes we encounter an alert like this in a routine spot in the normal road patterns of our daily travels. Other times it appears as an unexpected and unwelcome surprise as part of an annoying construction project, accompanied by flashing lights and barricades, clearly pointing out that we need to make an adjustment.
Regardless of where it appears, it is a warning causing us to move in a different direction if we don’t want to find ourselves in a ditch. Maybe we need a sign like that when we are about to cross the 50 mark…and I am not referring to the speedometer in your car.
When we hit that birthday marking the entrance to our fifth decade, many of us are forced to alter course, generally with no warning, even though we can argue that we should have seen it coming and better prepared ourselves. In many cases, it is within the context of our career when we find ourselves in the crosshairs of a layoff, a RIF, an early buyout…all code for “yikes, I’m out of a job, now what do I do?” Or it could be with our family situation as children leave for college, graduate, and move out and on to adulthood. Whatever the case, we can view these situations as either unwelcome roadblocks to fulfillment…or as opportunities to chart a new path.
Guess what? It won’t be as obvious as a sign telling you what to expect, but changes are coming – professionally, personally, and likely both. How will you perceive the ones will that affect you?
One way to ensure a more positive outlook is to be better prepared. Don’t get caught in the wrong lane running out of road. Here are a few suggestions on how you can better position yourself for the unexpected changes that surface in your life.
One way to ensure a more positive outlook is to be better prepared. Don’t get caught in the wrong lane running out of the road. Here are a few suggestions on how you can better position yourself for the unexpected changes that surface in your life. The text suggests that proactive preparation can lead to a more positive outlook when facing changes. The analogy of being in the “wrong lane running out of the road” indicates the importance of taking action to avoid getting caught off-guard by life’s unexpected twists.
Below Are Five Ways to Have a Positive Impact on Your Career
Career preparation suggestions:
- Spend sufficient time preparing an updated professional resume that adequately reflects your uniqueness: This means taking the time to create a resume that showcases one’s skills, experiences, and accomplishments, making them stand out to potential employers.
- Research certifications that are respected in your industry and obtain at least one of them: Pursuing relevant certifications can enhance one’s expertise and credibility in their field, increasing opportunities for career advancement.
- Brush up on your interviewing skills: Practicing interview techniques can boost confidence and improve the chances of making a strong impression during job interviews.
- Continue networking with people outside of your company and in parallel industries: Building a broad professional network can open doors to new opportunities and potential job prospects beyond one’s current workplace or industry.
- Establish/update your LinkedIn profile: Having an up-to-date LinkedIn profile can help professionals stay connected, be visible to potential employers, and showcase their professional achievements.
Personal preparation suggestions:
- Cultivate friendships: Nurturing and maintaining meaningful friendships can provide emotional support and enrich one’s personal life.
- Explore areas of interest and develop a hobby if you don’t already have one: Engaging in hobbies and exploring new interests can bring joy and fulfillment to one’s personal life, especially during times of change.
- Plan social outings: Being proactive in planning social activities can help individuals maintain a healthy social life and prevent isolation during challenging periods.
- Develop common interests with your spouse or significant other: Fostering shared interests with a partner can strengthen relationships and create a sense of companionship.
- Read and keep up to date with current events: Staying informed about current events and trends can broaden one’s knowledge and perspective, making them better prepared to adapt to changing circumstances.
In summary, the passage uses the analogy of encountering an alert on the road to describe how turning 50 and other life changes require adjustments. It emphasizes the importance of perceiving these changes as opportunities for growth and offers suggestions to better prepare for the unexpected twists in one’s career and personal life.